Spell Check - Live!
Main Subject Area: Language Arts
Duration of Lesson: 30 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Classroom accress to the H.I.P. Pocket Change(TM) Website and it's "Time Machine" or a printout of one of its stories- http://www.usmint.gov/kids/index.cfm?Filecontents=/kids/timemachine/index.cfm
Pens or pencils
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): 3-5 6-8
2. Have students read the Time Machine story.
3. Divide students into teams of two. Ask them to use the story to create a vocabulary list of 10 or more terms. Then have them look each word up in the dictionary and write down its meaning.
4. Have each student create a version of the vocabulary list where each word is intentionally misspelled. Encourage students to create realistic and challenging misspellings.
5. Tell students to swap lists with their partners. Ask them to edit the lists, checking their corrected answers in the dictionary.
6. Have students return the corrected lists to their partners for proofreading.
7. Hold a classroom-wide spelling bee. You may want to create coin prizes for students.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options:
Use the vocabulary list in classroom games. For example, students could play hangman-type games, or they could participate in contests to see which team of students can list the most coin-related words within five minutes, or some other set time period.
Use the coin words in the Glossary (also found on the H.I.P. Pocket Change(TM) Web site) to create additional spelling and vocabulary activities.
Ask students to investigate the origin of the coin terms and to find out what language each term's root word is derived from.