Main Subject Area: Mathematics
Additional Subjects: Language Arts
Duration of Lesson: 45 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Students will learn the different ways to make 50 cents using a variety of coin denominations.
Students will practice skip counting using 5 and 10.
Real or play coins: cents (pennies), nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollar for each group of students (or coin stamps)
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): K-2
2. At the end of the story ask the students questions about the purchases being made in the story, such as “What was being bought?” and “How much did it cost?” (If there is an item that costs 50¢, ask questions that revolve around that item).
3. Explain that as a group you are going to learn the different ways to buy an item that costs 50¢.
4. Review the value and characteristics of each of the coins that will be used in this activity [currently circulating cents (pennies), nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars].
5. As a group, review the idea that you can use smaller coin values to build a larger amount (five pennies is five cents, the same thing as a nickel). For this activity discuss only same type (denomination) coin sets.
6. Distribute real or play coins (of the denominations listed above) to each student.
7. Have your students show you how they can make different amounts with the coins that they have in front of them. Start with a small amount (such as ten cents) and ask your students to show different ways in which they can use cents (pennies) and then nickels to create this amount.
8. Once students seem comfortable with this concept, have them work in groups to try to make fifty cents using same type coin sets. For this first lesson make sure that the class becomes familiar with the basic equivalencies for fifty cents; ie. fifty cents (pennies); ten nickels; five dimes; two quarters; and one half dollar. This is an excellent time to teach skip counting or review skip counting with students working with nickels and dimes.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options: