And the Nominee Is...
Main Subject Area: Language Arts
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): 3-5
2. Divide the class into small groups, and assign one honoree to each team.
3. Have each team research its commemorative coin honoree and why the person was selected. Then have the group present its findings.
4. As a class, brainstorm a list of reasons why people are honored on commemoratives.
5. Reconvene the teams, and ask them to select a person they believe should be honored with a commemorative coin. Caution them that they will need to be able to cite at least one reason for each team member.
6. Assign each team member to write a paragraph supporting his or her reason and to draw a coin design that reflects it.
7. Reconvene the teams, and have them compile the paragraphs and drawings in a report. In addition, ask them to select their team's most convincing reason.
8. Have each team present the paragraph and drawing for its winning reason to the whole class.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options: