Main Subject Area: Language Arts
Duration of Lesson: 30 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
The U.S. Mint's H.I.P. Pocket Change(TM) Web site - www.usmint.gov/kids
Crayons or colored pencils
Construction paper for the book covers
Plain paper for the book pages
Staples, yarn, or other book-binding supplies
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): K-2
2. Print the images large enough so that students can easily see the coin's details.
2. Collect an assortment of coins or download and print images from the H.I.P. Pocket Change(TM) Web site.
3. Show the students coins or images. After discussing all the coins, ask each student to select a favorite or interesting coin.
4. Hand out the templates, and tell students they are each going to make a coin-shaped book about the coin they selected. Have them start by creating an original cover.
5. Ask each student to first pick how many pages long they want the book to be. Then have them write a sentence about the coin on each page.
6. Assemble the books using yarn, staples, or some other creative binding technique.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options: